UUS Meeting Virtually Due to COVID-19
UUS is currently in Phase One (Closed for in person activity) of our COVID Reopening Plan. Sunday services are being streamed via Zoom at 10 a.m. Read more »
Our Whole Lives (OWL)
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a compehensive, lifespan sexuality education program. Co-developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ, OWL includes a range of age-appropriate sessions for children, youth, and adults.
At UUS, we typically offer the junior high module every other year, and we we recently began a high school session that we also hope to repeat on a regular basis.
Contact the Director of Lifespan Religious Education for information on future sessions.
Our Whole Lives Overview
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Offers…
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
Our Whole Lives Values…
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.