Our Whole Lives (OWL)
Our Whole Lives (OWL) is a compehensive, lifespan sexuality education program. Co-developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ, OWL includes a range of age-appropriate sessions for children, youth, and adults.
At UUS, we typically offer the junior high module every other year, and we will begin offering a high school session in 2019.
2019 OWL Sessions
Junior high (grades 7-9)
Our next session for this age group will be held in fall 2019. Contact Jessica Zimmer at email@example.com or 337-3443 to get updates or for more information.
High school (grades 10-12)
NOTE: Registrations are closed for this session. Contact Jessica Zimmer firstname.lastname@example.org or 337-3443 for more information about future HS OWL sessions.
We are excited to offer our first session for this age group beginning in February 2019, using a brand new curricula. The ten sessions will address the following topics:
- What is sexuality?
- Body Image
- Healthy Relationships
- Communication Online and In-person
- Sexual Expression and Pleasure
- Caring for Our Sexual Selves
- Sexuality Throughout Adulthood
Our Whole Lives Overview
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Offers…
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
Our Whole Lives Values…
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.