You are always welcome at the Unitarian Universalist Society of Iowa City.
Our liberal faith is derived from the Jewish and Christian traditions, but we draw from many teachers, sages, and prophets throughout the ages. We feel that reason, personal experience, and conscience are the final authorities in religion. Ours is truly a free faith. We invite you to watch this short video, produced by the Unitarian Universalist Association, to learn more about who we are.
Our Seven Principles
Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote seven principles:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
- Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations.
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
If you are a newcomer to Iowa City, or to Unitarian Universalism, we invite you to join us for Sunday services and other events. Information on when we meet, how to find us, and where to park can be found under Visit Us.
Becoming a Member
To learn more about becoming a member, please visit our membership page.
What’s happening at UUSIC
Visit the Groups & Activities page to learn more about the variety of programs we offer.
Sunday afternoon is a high point of the week for many of us as we — family and friends — come together with our minister, our choir, and some two dozen dedicated teachers from our Religious Education program.
Children older than four participate in the first portion of the Sunday service, during which they hear a story (which often leads to future discussion around the family table) and listen to the special music for that Sunday service before leaving for their religious education classes.
Sunday Services: September – May
Children are welcome! We provide free child care for infants and children through age 2, preschool for children age 3 through 5, and religious education classes that your older children may attend if they wish. Your children are also welcome to stay with you during the service.
We also invite you to join us for refreshments and fellowship from 2:45 PM to 3:45 PM in Fellowship Hall after the service.
Lifespan Religious Education (RE) for infants, children, and young adults
- 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM: Child care provided for infants and toddlers through age four
- 1:45 PM to 3:00 PM: Childcare and multi-age children’s programming
Sunday Services: June – August
During the summer, we continue to have our service at 1:30 PM each Sunday. Our summer services are lay-led and less formal.
Multi-age religious education classes are available for children age K-6th grade on summer Sundays, and we provide free child care for infants and children through age 2.
We also invite you to join us after the service for lemonade at 2:45 PM.